Tuesday, March 24, 2009

A Queer learning week !




In the previous Media class we spoke about being Queer. I found this to be a coincidence, because a few days before, I had went to the movies and watched "Milk" which is primarily a movie about the evolution of gay rights, starring Sean Penn as Harvey Milk, who was in fact one of the first people in San Fransisco to establish gay rights in th 1970's.

What we discussed in class was definitely portrayed in the movie, and really helped to summarize concluding information on the topic. I can pretty much say that this was a very 'queer learning' week for me.

Being so impressed by the movie 'Milk' (which by the way, won the Oscar this year for best acting), makes me want to share my thoughts about it-

First off, I had no idea that gay rights began in San Fransisco- this was very interesting to know, especially because I might go there this summer with my parents, who, let's say aren't the most open minded people.
Second of all, this movie really touched me because I found out that it had been based on a true story. Throughout the movie, I really connected with the main character, (Sean Penn) who faught and struggled to send out the message that gay people should have rights and they are human beings who deserve equal respect in a society that does not respect them at all. In fact, the movie showed police beatings and extremely discriminating remarks and acts to portray this. It surprised me how hard it was for the gay community to gain a voice and gain respect from their community.

In the end, Sean Penn (Harvey Milk) gets shot after finally gaining the majority vote to have gay rights, by a member in the opposition party who believed he should be shot because of his success.

Although this ending was extremely upsetting, I believe that this movie overall, sends out a very powerful message that can hopefully open the minds of people who still believe in inequality and/or brutality regarding gay people, whom are simply trying to live in peace and acceptance.

1 comment:

  1. Great blogging! I also recommend you watch a documentary about Harvey Milk if you are interested. I haven't seen the movie, Milk, yet, but the documentary itself was very good. I wish you for the best.

    ReplyDelete